+ + +
+ + +
Anne Adams 4571 Pattern Review
Pattern Review: Anne Adams 4571, circa 1940s
Pattern Description: This was a mail order pattern, so there is no description. I would describe it as a side-button dress with scalloped sleeves and neckline.
Pattern Sizing: This was a 34 bust, which surprisingly fit with only skirt length alterations.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The scallop detail is very unique, and so is the diagonal contrast across the bodice.
Fabric Used: Dark yellow on light yellow seersucker.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: This was my first time working with an unprinted pattern. I traced out all the pieces first, transferring over all perforations on the paper. Then based on the instructions I made notations of each mark, marking tucks and other details directly on the paper.
This was also my first time sewing scallops. I thought the scallops would make this a nightmare project, but the pattern is drafted well, and the scalloped interfacing and side seams fit together well. I used the shortest stitch available on my machine and went very slowly, making sure to turn each corner at the point while the needle was in the fabric to get sharp scallops. I top-stitched over the scallops again using the smallest stitch possible to get crisper scallops.
The seam allowance on this was a scant 1/2 inch, which I’m fine with. When I adjust patterns, I usually trace them and remove the seam allowance, then measure and make my adjustments. I add the seam allowance when I’m cutting the fabric, and usually I add 1/2 inch (since it’s easier to measure than 5/8 inch). I shortened the hem by about 5 inches to knee-length. I also omitted the belt since it would have made the bodice too long and it seemed unnecessary. I interfaced the collar and side skirt pieces, and I based the skirt facing on my pattern directly, since I shortened the skirt. I left the sleeves with no interfacing since I didn’t want stiff sleeves.
This was the first pattern I made with no alterations other than skirt length. The bodice is a little bit big but not unwearable (and that might be the style in the 1940s, boxy bodices?) Surprisingly it fits.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes. It’s a good casual dress with plenty of detail. I’d like to sew this again taking advantage of the horizontal contrast across the bodice. I’d also make the bodice a tiny bit smaller. This was a very intricate and unique pattern, and took about 3 nights (approximately 3 hours a night) from cutting to hemming.
Conclusion: I will definitely make more of these in the future.
+ + +
This might be just a NYC thing, but I’m new to wearing color on a daily basis. I usually wear black or grey with accents of white and red year-round, and it’s only this year that I’ve branched out with trying to wear color. Sewing has helped a great deal. Before I learned how to sew, I wore black jeans and t-shirts combined with tailored jackets and leather cuffs daily. Fashion was first and foremost practical and comfortable, and I eschewed most ladylike items such as dresses. I don’t plan to go back to an androgynous style of dressing, but as much as I love vintage style, sometimes it feels like I’m wearing a costume.
I feel very very self-conscious in this dress. I don’t think it’s the fit, but the color. I still love to sew and I will still sew exclusively from vintage patterns, but from now on these will be in colors in my comfort zone: black, grey, red, or anything that can be translated into a rock and roll edgy vibe while still being an authentic vintage sewing pattern.