Category: advance

What I’m Working on This Week: Advance 8647, Bodice Lining

I finished the lining last night. Now I just need to attach the boning to the lining, line it, and finish the skirt.

What I’m Working on This Week: Advance 8647, Bodice

It’s been quiet around these parts since it’s been a very busy summer, but I have been sewing.

Over the weekend I finally got the front bodice done. It’s cotton sateen underlined with cotton batiste. I was supposed to underline the fashion fabric with organza, but it was way too slippery and moved around too much, so I ended up using some white cotton batiste from the depths of my stash. (My fabric acquisition has been so sparse lately that it can’t even be called a stash.) I tried to watch some X-Files while doing this, since underlining the pieces were tedious.

It still needs lining, boning, and the skirt part to be done. Almost there.

What I’m Working on This Week: Advance 8647, Muslin #2

I know it doesn’t look like I’ve been sewing lately since this blog has been pretty quiet, but I’ve been slowly and surely working on my bridesmaid dress muslin.

I used rigilene boning (taped in like a lazy sewist right before fitting). Tomorrow I plan to go the garment district to get the fashion fabric (finally!).

I’ve also been up to a lot of non-sewing, but I’ll save the flood of Instagrams for later.

What I’m Working on This Week: Advance 8647, Muslin #1

+ + +

Here’s what the first muslin looks like. I plan to use sew-in boning (am trying to take some shortcuts here and not use steel spiral boning), underlining in silk organza and lining in cotton batiste. My friend Cindy came over to help me fit the bodice, which is sort of fitted but needs some help.

+ + +

Esteemed Sewing Assistant, hard at work.

+ + +

Sewing is definitely not glamorous. Here’s what my work table looked like, after fitting and adjusting the first muslin.

What I’m Working on This Week: Advance 8647, the Bridesmaid Dress

In some fit of sewing responsibility, I finally went back to what I really should have been working on since about a month ago: my bridesmaid dress. I’m going with the bustier/sarong version from the late 50s.

I also finished McCalls 5805, and still need to take decent pictures of it.

What I’m Working on This Week

Butterick 5824, Advance 4518.

+ + +

I’ve decided to try my first coat pattern, Gertie’s coat. I’ve been looking for a knee length princess coat for awhile now, and haven’t found any yet. Hopefully if I start now I can finish it in time for winter.

I usually only do one project at a time, but since a coat might be at time-consuming project, I also want to start on Advance 4518.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers