Finished project: Anne Adams 4571, circa 1940s

AA4571-020611-front2

Front view.

+ + +

AA4571-020611-front

Alternate front view.

+ + +

AA4571-013110-side

Side view.

+ + +

AA4571-013110-side2

Alternate side view.

+ + +

AA4571-020611-sleeve

Closeup of sleeve.

+ + +

AA4571-020611-sleeve2

Alternate closeup of sleeve.

+ + +

AA4571-013110-neckline

Neckline view.

+ + +

AA4571-020611-sideButtons

Closeup of buttons.

+ + +

AA4571-020611-sideButtons2

Closeup of button.

+ + +

Pattern: Anne Adams 4571

AA4571-a

+ + +

Project Details:

Pattern: Anne Adams 4571, circa 1940s.

Pattern Sizing: Size 16, 34 bust. This pattern needed heavy revisions, since there was a ton of ease around the bodice area. I had to shorten the bodice by a good three inches or so.

Description: Wrap dress with scalloped details and side buttons.

Did it look like the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Fabric: Cotton sateen. I think this fabric was too heavy for this dress. Next time I do this (if there is a next time!) I need to use something with more drape.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the interesting scallop detail on the neckline and sleeves. I disliked hand-sewing the facings onto the fabric. I also disliked how the scallops puffed up around the bodice when worn. The construction took about a week, but hand-sewing took awhile.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Shortened the bodice about three inches. I put snaps by the bodice so the scalloped area wouldn’t stick out when worn. Instead of cutting the inner bodice to center front, I ended up making a wrap version of it. I used snaps to secure the inner bodice to the waist.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I don’t think I’ll sew this again anytime soon. The scallops took a really long time to hand-sew.

Anne Adams 4571: Scallops and Facings

Slow, slow sewing here. This is definitely turning into a slow sewing project, with minimal options for shortcuts. Anne Adams 4571, Version 2, Release Candidate 2 is going very well, but slowly. The bodice still needs to be assembled with the skirt, buttonholes and buttons added, and the scallop facings that need to be tacked on by hand with catch-stitch. The only shortcut I’ve done so far is serged the seams and pressed them apart as I went along.

Here is my progress on it so far:

AA4571-012110-bodiceTop

Top bodice, with facings.

+ + +

AA4571-012110-bodiceSide

Side bodice, with facings.

+ + +

AA4571-012110-neckline

Closeup of the scallops by the neckline.

+ + +

AA4571-012110-neckline2

Another closeup of scallops.

+ + +

AA4571-012110-bean

One very bewildered Esteemed Sewing Assistant, with Big Eyes.

Anne Adams 4571: Muslin Progress

Here is my progress on the Anne Adams muslin. Fixing this was very tricky since the original version had low armholes and was very boxy. There was no alternative but to take it in at the shoulders, raise the armhole, and re-draw the scallops along the shoulders.

+ + +

AA4571-patternview

+ + +

AA4571-patternview2

+ + +

AA4571-bodice

Bodice front.

Adjustments: Raised the armhole by 1 1/2 inches. Redrafted the scallops by the shoulder to match the smaller armhole. Raised the tucks to 4 inches along the waistline for a less boxier fit. The original version was very boxy and had too much ease. The pattern has you cut off the inner wrap (abrupt vertical cut you see on the inner bodice), but I think I will leave it and use snaps to secure the inner bodice wrap, so there will be less fabric flapping around when it’s worn.

+ + +

AA4571-backView

Back view.

+ + +

AA4571-shoulderDetail

Shoulder scallop view.

+ + +

AA4571-ESA

Esteemed Sewing Assistant, Bean. Supervising the muslin process.

Vintage Sew Along of 2011

vintageSewAlong2011

After my failed Lady Grey Sew Along in which I decided to participate then promptly dropped off the face of the blogosphere, I’m a little wary of sew-alongs. However, since I sew exclusively vintage anyway, I decided to join the Vintage Sew Along of 2011.

+ + +

AA4571-a

My pattern will be Anne Adams 4571, in black and pink striped cotton. I made this last year in yellow seersucker, a project I’m not entirely thrilled with now. I really liked the detail on this and feel that I haven’t done the pattern justice.

Some modifications I plan to make from the yellow seersucker version:

  • Interface the buttonholes and belt.
  • Pick a fabric with less drape than the seersucker previously used.
  • Make the belt that goes with it and add it back in.
  • Sew this in a color you won’t be ashamed to wear in public.
  • Go back to the original pattern. Former bodice too large.
  • Take it in at the shoulders if needed and drop the neckline if needed. Raise hem.